A while back I read this article at Wardrobe Oxygen about how women often make self-deprecating comments when they receive compliments. Most times women are putting themselves down even before someone comments on their appearance.
It made me think about how I react to compliments. I often brush them aside, instead of just saying thanks. Well, no more! From now on I’m accepting compliments and saying thank you!
I also decided to make a list of compliments that people have given me.
All these things I’m about to list, make me smile, and make me feel good about myself. I bet that you can think of compliments that you been given that make you feel the same way. Don’t dismiss them! I know that can be hard. It was hard for me to write everything below and not make some self-deprecating comments. But that would’ve defeated the purpose of this whole post. 🙂
The things people say…
- One of my good friends, John, told me that I had a laugh that could light up a room.
- When feeling out a meme, my friend Jennifer answered the question, “Which of your friends has the best personality?” with my name.
- My friend, Charlie and were talking about this guy I had a crush on but that had a girlfriend. Charlie jokingly said that I should steal the guy away from his girl. I replied that I wouldn’t even know how. Charlie said, “Just be yourself.” Made my day!
- At the airport in Luxor, Egypt, a man walked up to me and told me that I had the most beautiful eyes he had ever seen. He then took my hand and led me to a table to sit down. His friends told my friends that he had never done anything like that before. It was odd but sweet.
- Actually, I lost track of how many times I heard how beautiful my eyes were while in Egypt. It was definitely a self-esteem boosting trip. 🙂
- My friend Scot told me that I looked really pretty in turquoise.
- One of the boys that worked for me repeatedly told people that I was so hot!
- My boss told me that he thought I could be a store manager someday.
- My friends and I were playing a game where we had to describe each other in one word, Ashley called me adventurous!
These are just a few, and most aren’t even about my appearance, but they all make me feel great!
Now, I want to challenge you to make a list of the compliments that meant a lot to you. Maybe you can even blog about them. Keep this list and when you are feeling down about yourself, pull that list out and remind yourself how awesome you really are!
This post originally ran on February 13, 2012.