One Bag Travel – The Clothes
Monday, I talked about traveling with just a carry-on for my next big trip. (Which will probably be Thailand or Australia next year!) To do so, I really have to rethink the way that I pack, starting with the clothes.
Usually I take a shirt for each day. If my trip is 14 days, I take 14 tops. I also take 3 pair of jeans and a couple pair of chinos, a dressy top or two, and dress pants or skirt. Plus, tank tops, a sweatshirt, pajamas, undergarments, long johns and socks. It’s way too much.
I decided that I need to be more specific in the clothes that I take. I need to look for items that can be mixed and matched, and worn layered or separately to create different looks.
So, here is my clothes packing list that I hope meets those needs:
- 2 pair of pants – one to wear, one to pack
- or 1 pair of pants and 1 capri pant
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of shorts or a skirt
- 3 button-down shirts – one to wear, two to pack
- 2 T-shirts
- 2 Tank tops
- 1 Cardigan
- 1 pair of walking shoes – to wear
- 1 pair of dress shoes
- 1 pair of flip flops
- 1 dress for any place fancy
- 1 swim suit
- 1 cover-up
- 7 pair of panties – one to wear, 6 to pack
- 3 bras – one to wear, two to pack
- 4 pair of socks – one to wear, three to pack
- 1 set of pajamas
- 1 jacket – to wear
- 1 scarf – because you can wear them so many ways
- 1 pair of long johns (depending on destination)
- 1 pair of sunglasses
- 1 day bag
- 1 watch – to wear
- 2 pair of earrings – one casual, one dressy
- 1 necklace
- 1 bracelet
I can make a lot of outfits from this list of clothes. Think about it, each button-down shirt can be worn by itself or worn open over the tank tops, the cardigan can be worn by itself or worn open over the tank tops, button downs or t-shirts. And all the tops can be worn with each of the bottoms. That gives plenty of options for a two week trip, probably more options than I need, but I think this is a good starting point.
Next Article: One Bag Travel – The Liquids
This is a series of posts chronically my experiment in traveling with one bag. Well, I don’t have a definite trip planned right now, but I want to be ready when I do. (And because I am a geek like that!) Hopefully, these articles will be as big a help to you as they are to me.