On March 3, I turned 38 years old. It blows my mind that I am two years away from 40. It doesn’t seem that long ago that I was depressed about turning 30! Now here I am facing down the big 4-0!
I don’t feel 38. Though what is 38 supposed to feel like? Obviously, I have no clue.
For the most part, I like to ignore my birthdays. I’m happy just to receive Happy birthdays via Facebook and text. Cap wanted to celebrate, though. He took me out to eat and to see Logan. (Great movie by the way!) He also bought me lots of nerdy gifts!
And since Cap wouldn’t let me ignore my birthday I thought I would commemorate it on the blog as well. Part of this post was written years ago, and I added the last eighteen truths to give you my 38 truths for 38 years. I think it’s pretty great that I only had to change one of the first twenty. It shows that some truths will stand the test of time.
38 Things I’ve Learned in 38 Years
- You are responsible for your choices and actions.
- Don’t be scared to live out your dreams.
- You are the superhero of your own life.
- It’s good to have a hobby.
- Sisters can be your best friends.
- Best Friends can become your sisters.
- No matter how hard you fight it, you will become your parents.
- It is really hard to practice what you preach, and even harder not to preach.
- You’re never too old to daydream.
- There is beauty to be found in almost everyone.
- Friends come in all shapes, sizes, colors, cultures, and ages.
- There is a difference between being a boss and being bossy.
- Don’t do anything you would be ashamed for your Poppy to find out about.
- Smart phones are a necessary evil.
- It is better to be alone than be with someone you can’t trust.
- When you have the opportunity to help someone, do it!
- It’s okay to cry at Disney/Pixar movies.
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream makes all bad days better.
- Winnie the Pooh is one very wise bear.
- “Life is too important to be taken seriously.”
- Dogs make a house a home.
- You have to work for what you want in life.
- A positive attitude can make a world of difference.
- Take a book with you everywhere you go then you will never be homesick.
- We all go through seasons in which we are the terrible friend, so don’t give up your friends when they go through this season of life.
- You don’t have to be a size two to be sexy.
- Writing is therapy.
- Be kind to everyone.
- Be hard on performance but easy on people.
- If you have good parents, appreciate them. Not everyone has parents they can count on.
- Tidying is good for your soul.
- Netflix and cuddling with your love is a wonderful way to spend the day.
- Self-care isn’t woo-woo. It’s a necessity!
- Everyone has belly rolls when they sit down.
- Skinny jeans aren’t just for the skinny.
- If the direction you’re going in doesn’t scare you, you’re going the wrong way.
- True love is worth the wait.
- Just because your grow up doesn’t mean you can’t still be a kid at heart.
Now, what about you? Share some of your truths in the comments! Or write your own blog post and leave me the link so I can read it!
This post originally ran on February 7, 2011. It was updated on March 4, 2017.